Spruce Acres, also known as the Hunn Jenkins House and Hartman-Miller House, was built c. 1840 by a prominent local farmer Hunn Jenkins

Spruce Acres, also historically known as the Moldde Farm, the Hunn-Jenkins House and the Hartman-Miller house, was built c. 1840 by a prominent local farmer Hunn Jenkins. The building is an outstanding example of Greek Revival Architecture and was listed in the National register of Historic places in 1974. The house also has secret quarters which are believed to have been used for the underground railroad and Swarthmore College in Pennsylvania houses pre-Civil War, anti-slavery literature collected from the house.

Building of the house started c 1840-1848 by Hunn Jenkins, originally known as the Moldde Farm-“88 acres of land improved 20 acres in timber with a large three story frame dwelling in new and good repair, with buildings, barn, stables, carriage house, etc…” – excerpt from 1852 tax assessment.

Hunn Jenkins and his family moved to Camden from Philadelphia. Members of the Jenkins family were religiously affiliated with Society of Friends, the Quakers. Members of the Hunn family were prominent in the Underground Railroad. Hunn Jenkins died in 1876 and his trustees sold all of his property. The McBride Family acquired the two parcels and resold to Charles Lord around 1901.

The property changed hands a number of times and was sold to B. F. Hartman in the early 1900’s, who was responsible for many improvements including adding the sunroom, adding hardwood floors and plaster moldings. We recently spoke with his daughter (Mary Miller) who was born in the home on the second floor and was married in front of the fireplace in the ballroom . She tells of wonderful times with family and friends, Christmas gatherings, etc.

On or about 1974, David Buckson purchased the home and developed the land on the back section for  town homes, leaving the remaining 2.2 acres. The home was then transferred to Thomas Halfpenny, et al.

The home had fallen into significant disrepair. After much prayer and consideration, in June 2006, the home was purchased by Andrew and Jennifer Nowak. It was during that time the journey of rehabilitation and restoration began. The renovations are ongoing and the photos depict a fraction of the effort and hardwork sustained fully by God. The Glory and Grandeur of Spruce Acres continues today..without His help, it is likely that this property would not have survived the next millennia. To Him goes all the honor.

The photos on this page show the estate in at different times in it’s long history. In the “Rebirth” section of the website the photo gallery shows the state of damage and neglect of the home.

Leave a Reply